I am not like a typical woman. I don’t have 10 or 20 purses that I alternate with depending on what I’m wearing or where I’m going. I buy one and I use it well for years. I typically get a dark brown or black – or once I felt really wild and got a green. I knew I needed a new handbag when leather started flaking off the straps. So I began searching. Do you know how hard it is to find a handbag that you’re going to need to “love” for years? Especially when you can’t spend hours store hopping?
I actually began my search for the “next” purse the summer of 2013 when I realized the zipper pull was coming apart at the seams. I went to Target, Kohl’s & Walmart. I found absolutely NOTHING that would work. You may ask how can a woman not find a purse she loves in THREE stores. Well it’s easy when you’re as picky as I am about my purse selection.
- A Semi Short Strap. It is not my desire to have my purse hanging out around my knees. The bottom of the purse needs to sit right about my waist, no lower and no higher.
- That brings me to my next point. ONE STRAP. I don’t want a strap that needs to be “adjusted.” And while two handle bags are adorable, I don’t like the way the 2nd handle falls down off my shoulder when I walk. In addition, the strap (the semi short single solitary strap) needs to be centered on the purse and not on one side or the other. They’re cute, but not for me.
- Next up: I don’t want a handbag so large that you could fit a small child into it. I like the “hobo” style, but I don’t want it so big I could fit an actual hobo inside. I also don’t want a handbag so small that it would only fit a set of keys and a lipstick. So no matter what the men try to tell you ladies, SIZE MATTERS at least in my purse options.
- Zipper is a must because if it falls over I don’t want all my stuff to wind up on the table or the floor.
After all of this, I feel a bit like Goldilocks. That one is too big, that one is too small and that one is just right. That strap is too long, that strap is too short, that strap is just right. And to get them all in ONE handbag. It takes a lot of looking folks. And I believe that is why I keep one handbag for 3 or 4 years before searching for a new one. I shopped briefly last night at Target. By briefly I mean that it took me all of 4 minutes to realize they didn’t have what I wanted. They had hardly any “hobo” styles and the colors were dreadful! I decided to shop online. I found a handful of handbags at Kohl’s that I thought might work, but realize that what’s “cute & petite” online tends to be massive in person.
So I knew in my heart of hearts that they would ALL be too big to order sight unseen. I went to Kohl’s today and as I entered the handbag department (it’s massive, surely there is SOMETHING there, but remember I couldn’t find anything in the summer) I put my handbag on this beauty of a bag. I picked it up and thought, “hmmm this is almost perfect.” I put it back down. I should have just picked it up and walked to the register, but I had hopes that if I found ONE that I liked that I might find one more that I liked better. I think I looked around for a good 15 minutes, but in the end I went back to that almost perfect bag. I called it “almost perfect” because there was one online that I was dying to put my hands on, but I couldn’t locate it in the store.
However on the way out the store, I saw it hanging in the “teens” department (strike 1). Strike 2 was IT WAS MASSIVE! I could have put a dog in that bag! I was so pleased that my “almost perfect” bag turned into the perfect bag and checked out. What made this bag perfect?
1. Great Handle Length & Position.
2. Only ONE handle
3. Not too small and not too large.
4. ZIPPER! (the reason it’s *almost* perfect is that I’m also particular about the way zippers are inserted into purses and this one isn’t done quite right to me, but it will do)
5. IT’S TURQUOISE – what’s not to love?
6. The Price. It was originally GASP $70.00 but it was on sale for 1/2 price and then I had a 20% coupon. My goal is to spend less than $30.00 on a bag –
I just hope I can love it for 3 or 4 years!